I was wondering how to clean a leather jacket at home with household products. In this post, we discuss What household products can you use to clean leather? Leather is a product of nature, and just like human skin, it has certain unique features and characteristics. Proper care and maintenance can make leather last a lifetime! However, leather is also very porous and is thus very quickly susceptible to dirt, dust, and staining.
The leather jacket costs a fortune, so we naturally want to ensure that they remain in top-notch condition at all times. Approaching professional leather cleaners every three months can be an expensive affair. One can follow some simple tricks, home remedies, and households to clean a leather jacket at home!
How to clean leather jacket by using household products at home
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a very soft brush attachment to suck up the dry dirt and dust on the leather jacket’s surface. Make sure to not miss out on vacuum cleaning around the folds and breaches. Avoid using a hard-brush attachment, as it may ruin the surface of the leather jacket. This method is essential to get rid of dry grime and dust. When dust is mixed with water or a cleaning solution, it forms a filthy paste that can further stain the leather jacket!
- Now mix water and white vinegar in a bowl of equal measure. Take a soft muslin cloth and dip it in the solution. Now squeeze out the excess liquid to ensure that the cloth is damp and not soaking wet.
- Rub the cloth across the surface of the leather jacket in even motions. Make sure you clean the entire surface, as missing out on spots & areas here and there can make the leather jacket look patchy. Alternatively, you can use commercial leather cleaner, but ensure that you read the label correctly before applying! Also, always do a small patch test on some inconspicuous areas on the surface to avoid inflicting massive damage.
- Finally, wipe the leather jacket dry with a fresh dry towel. Allow time for aging, and then buff the entire sofa with a soft muslin cloth to revive the original sheen of the leather jacket!
How to clean a leather jacket stains by households at home
For removing fungus/mold on a leather jacket, one can use household products like ethanol-based liquid solutions, which are produced by the natural fermentation of sugars, alcohol, and yeast that are readily available household products! Take some rubbing alcohol on a soft muslin cloth and gently buff the affected area. (the topical antiseptic kills the mold).For removing ink stains on a leather jacket, one can again use rubbing alcohol.
Quickly dab the fresh ink stain with a paper towel to absorb the excess! Then take a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and gently rub it on the stain till it goes away. Using hairsprays is not a good idea anymore, as they do not contain enough alcohol. Also, please avoid using the eucalyptus oil (a fast-growing evergreen Australasian tree widely introduced elsewhere). It is valued for its timber, oil, gum, resin, and as an ornamental tree).
How to remove grease stains on the leather jacket?
Non-acetone-based nail polish remover and white toothpaste can also be used to get rid of fresh stains! Again, always do a little patch test on a hidden area to ensure the remedy works as expected.To remove darker, more stubborn stains on leather, we advise against trying anything at home! The use of acetone-based solid solutions should also be avoided, as they ruin the leather jacket’s color and texture!
In this case, professional leather dry cleaners should be consulted! They use harsh industrial chemicals to get rid of the stains. However, in this process, the color of the affected area also fades away! The leather chemists then buff the discolored area with matching color dye or pigment to give your leather jacket the perfect finish! (Avoid using shoe polish at home, as the polish is meant for shoes and not your delicate leather jacket!).
To remove grease stains on the leather jacket, sprinkle some baking soda on the affected area and leave it untouched for a couple of hours! If the stain is fresh, the baking soda will absorb the oil and leave your leather jacket stain-free! However, professional leather cleaning services should be availed for older and more stubborn grease stains.
How to maintain a leather jacket using household products at home
- Vacuum clean your leather jacket at least once every two weeks! For regular leather jacket dry cleaning & upkeep, you can use a feather duster to eliminate the day-to-day grub, dirt, and dry dust!
- For fresh stains, liquid spills, etc., attend to the leather jacket immediately! Buff the affected area with a highly porous material to eliminate the excess liquid! The leftover can be removed by applying rubbing alcohol at your discretion!
- Keep your leather items covered when not in use!
- Do not expose your leather jacket to sunlight, as heat causes the leather jacket to fade! Likewise, please keep it away from heat vents! Leather items should also be held at a safe distance from air conditioning sources, as it causes cracking of leather due to dehydration!
- Always consult professional leather jacket cleaners for stubborn stains ( to avoid ruining the leather jackets at home)!
There are a few common household products that can be used to clean leather effectively. Some options include mild soap or dishwashing liquid mixed with water, white vinegar diluted with water, or a mixture of lemon juice and cream of tartar.
While baby wipes may seem convenient for quick cleaning, it’s generally not recommended to use them on leather. Baby wipes may contain additives or chemicals that can be harmful to the leather’s finish or cause discolouration.
If you encounter stains or spills on your leather, it’s important to act quickly. Blot the stain gently with a clean, soft cloth or paper towel to absorb as much of the liquid as possible. Avoid rubbing the stain vigorously, as it may spread or damage the leather. Afterwards, you can use a mild cleaning solution.
Our Leather Items:
- Leather Bags
- Leather Pants
- Leather Gloves
- Leather Belts
- Leather Ties
- Leather Bows
- Men Leather Jackets
- Motor Bike Leather Jackets
- Men Leather skirts
- Women Leather Jackets
- Women Leather Chaps
Find the products look by putting on your household or purchasing from USA Leather Jacket Store one now. We’ll also give you many suggestions on what household products can you use to clean leather.
- What is PU LEATHER?
- What is Vegan Leather?
- Leather Bags
- The Best Leather Jackets for Women
- How to clean leather bags?
- Leather Accessories
- How do you keep your leather Jackets from getting wrinkles?
- TOP LEATHER JACKETS FOR MEN
- A Guide to Buying a Leather Jacket for the first time!
- Why Long Leather Jackets Are Perfect for Fall
- Where to buy good men leather jacket in USA
- How to wash the inside of a fake leather jacket
- All You need to Know about The History of Motorcycle Leather Jacket
- What is a Studded Leather Jacket? is it Worth Buying?
- 10 things to consider before buying a vintage leather jacket
- How to Tell If a Leather Jacket is Real and Genuine
- how to wash leather jacket?
- How to Clean a Leather Jacket?
- how to style a leather jacket?
- How to wear a leather jacket?
- How to Style Brown Leather jacket?